Thursday, August 20, 2015

Shrimp Gumbo


On a heavy pot I cooked the sliced sausage on vegetable oil for a few minutes then spooned them out.  I added more vegetable oil.  about a third of a cup butter and  half a cup all-purpose flour.    Stirred constantly with a wooden spoon until roux became smooth and dark brown.  Then I turned the heat off. 

When the roux has completely cooled, I turned the heat back on to medium.  Then I added more butter, chopped onion, chopped celery, diced green pepper, a can of whole peeled plum tomatoes and dried thyme.  Ten minutes later I added old bay seasoning, 2 cups frozen Okra from Whole Foods, a tablespoon salt and a good cracking of black pepper.  Simmered for about an hour then added a pound of shrimp and sausage and cooked for another five minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment